- An extremely plentiful or oversufficient quantity or supply.
- Overflowing fullness: abundance of the heart.
- Affluence; wealth: the enjoyment of abundance.
My favourite of these is #2: “overflowing fullness”. What a beautiful concept. My personal definition of it is simply the belief that there is always enough.
What does that look like? To me, it means that the more we give, the more we get. We attract to us what we pay attention to, so if we focus on what we lack, we draw more of that to us. Focusing on what we have, and what we have to give, brings us more of that. When we want to create change in our life, we can sometimes focus on what isn’t working rather than what we want. Changing our perspective to one of gratitude and abundance allows us to breathe more deeply, relax more fully and draw in more of what we want in our lives.
How do I see abundance showing up in my actions or those of others? For me, it is in displaying generosity in all things: time, attention, money, affection. And it is very directly inpracticing gratitude daily, remembering the gifts and blessings in my life.
So often we operate on the basis of scarcity. Scarcity is the opposite of abundance. It means we never have enough, we act from the fear that things will run out or go away – time, resources, opportunities, people, approval.
But when we act from a place of fear, of limitation, of “not enough”, we create a fundamentally negative life where itnever feels like enough. It is only when we openly practice the concepts of gratitude and generosity in our lives that we can find true joy.
Some reflection questions to look at abundance in your life:
- Are you acting from a place of gratitude and generosity?
- How can you bring abundance into your life more fully?
- Where does scarcity show up for you?
- How can you give more of the quality you want to attract into your life?